Place recyclable plastics in the recycling bin DRY and LOOSE, no bags. ONLY #1 and #2 plastics are recyclable.
Take This To
Recycling bins are located throughout the county. View all recycling collection sites.
- Plastic and Metal are placed in recycling bins together.
- If plastic has no recycling number on it, it has to go to the landfill.
- Only plastics stamped on the bottom as #1 and #2 can be recycled.
- Plastics stamped #3 – #7 are NOT recyclable here in Winneshiek County due to transportation costs to recycling facilities.
- Please do not bag your plastic recyclables. The bags tangle and damage our machines and slow down the people who do the sorting. No plastic bags are recyclable even if they have a number on them.
Plastics we can take include:
- milk jugs, water bottles, soap and detergent bottles, clam shells (clear plastic food containers), buckets, dairy supply barrels or drums.
Plastics we do NOT take include:
- styrofoam and bubble wrap, plastic bags, plastic toys, vinyl siding, lawn edging, PVC pipe, films, rubber, and carpet, silage bags, feed sacks, field tile, Tyvek, motor oil bottles (even if stamped #2)